Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
20. Aug 2017 at 09:04
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Hawkwind (Read 7524 times)
Laura
Topic Starter Topic Starter
Ex Member

Hawkwind
31. Oct 2005 at 06:10

I treated my husband, sister and brother-in-law Mike to the Chicago PT 10/11 show and at one point in the show Mike turned to me and said "this reminds me of Hawkwind!" (apparently he was really into early Hawkwind late 60's early 70's)  Well, number one, I had never heard of Hawkwind and second, I don't remember what PT song it was when he said that!  (BTW, I am a recent PT fan -since August - and my concert mates didn't know PT at all except for a few listens of IA and Deadwing)

I am interested in checking out Hawkwind.  Any idea what PT song might be considered Hawkwind-esque?  I know there are some people (including PT at times?) who don't like the Floyd, et al comparisons, but I am intrigued about this band Hawkwind.  I don't know how I grew up in the 60's and 70's and never heard of them  Shocked

All music had this entry  
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll and Space Ritual appears to be their tour-de-force.

Any comments about this band/PTconnection?

IP Logged
yahonza
PTF God

Re: Hawkwind
Reply #1 - 31. Oct 2005 at 15:50

Hi, Laura - glad to see the interest in one of my favorite bands!

Hawkwind is considered to be one of the premier "Space Rock" bands - if they didn't out-and-out invent the genre, they are certainly the best known and longest running band in this area.  They have been playing, in one incarnation or another, since 1969, with almost 100 albums to their credit (including live LPs and various antholgies/collections/rarities/offshoots).

I got into them through Space Ritual in 1973, and still consider it to be their finest work - absolutely fantastic from start to finish.  I would highly recommend it as a first buy, if you're looking to get the best introduction.

I can't say which, if any, of the PT catalogue sounds anything like Hawkwind, though.  Some parts of some songs, like the spacy part of "Gravity Eyelids", for instance, could call them to mind.

You could start here for some current band info:

http://www.hawkwind.com/hw_x.htm

And there's a good discography / some history here:

http://www.adawson.clara.net/

Hope this helps, and good hunting!

Leo

"You gotta get in to get out" - "Carpet Crawlers", by Genesis

"You gotta get out of it before you get in to it..." - "Dynamo Hum", by Frank Zappa

So, which is it?
View Profile   IP Logged
Laura
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 31. Oct 2005 at 15:58

Quote from Laura on 31. Oct 2005 at 06:10:
I treated my husband, sister and brother-in-law Mike to the Chicago PT 10/11 show and at one point in the show Mike turned to me and said "this reminds me of Hawkwind!" (apparently he was really into early Hawkwind late 60's early 70's)  Well, number one, I had never heard of Hawkwind and second, I don't remember what PT song it was when he said that!  (BTW, I am a recent PT fan -since August - and my concert mates didn't know PT at all except for a few listens of IA and Deadwing)

I am interested in checking out Hawkwind.  Any idea what PT song might be considered Hawkwind-esque?  I know there are some people (including PT at times?) who don't like the Floyd, et al comparisons, but I am intrigued about this band Hawkwind.  I don't know how I grew up in the 60's and 70's and never heard of them  Shocked

All music had this entry
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll and Space Ritual appears to be their tour-de-force.

Any comments about this band/PTconnection?

sorry for the bad link above - here is the right one:
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:q69ds34ba3mg~T1
also...I just noticed that Hawkwind's Space Ritual is on Wilson's playlist on the PT website
http://www.porcupinetree.com/background.playlists.cfm

I think I am going to start with Space Ritual myself - it sounds like something I would like - have others heard this?
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:j6rx28gc058a

IP Logged
ahava1
PTF God

Reply #3 - 31. Oct 2005 at 16:00

Quote from Laura on 31. Oct 2005 at 06:10:

I am interested in checking out Hawkwind. Any idea what PT song might be considered Hawkwind-esque?

I'm quite a fan of Hawkwind as well, though I wouldn't say there's much comparison in the two styles of music. However if you listen to Fadeaway closely followed by the Hawkwind track High Rise (from the 1979 album PXR5) there is more than a passing similarity... (well IMO anyway Wink )

And I can't stop from dreaming there's something else...
View Profile WWW itsonlythemoonlight   IP Logged
Laura
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 31. Oct 2005 at 16:16

Quote from yahonza on 31. Oct 2005 at 15:50:
Hi, Laura - glad to see the interest in one of my favorite bands!

Hawkwind is considered to be one of the premier "Space Rock" bands - if they didn't out-and-out invent the genre, they are certainly the best known and longest running band in this area.  They have been playing, in one incarnation or another, since 1969, with almost 100 albums to their credit (including live LPs and various antholgies/collections/rarities/offshoots).

I got into them through Space Ritual in 1973, and still consider it to be their finest work - absolutely fantastic from start to finish.  I would highly recommend it as a first buy, if you're looking to get the best introduction.

I can't say which, if any, of the PT catalogue sounds anything like Hawkwind, though.  Some parts of some songs, like the spacy part of "Gravity Eyelids", for instance, could call them to mind.

You could start here for some current band info:

http://www.hawkwind.com/hw_x.htm

And there's a good discography / some history here:

http://www.adawson.clara.net/

Hope this helps, and good hunting!

Leo

Leo -  
Thanks for the input!  I think your post crossed with my second post on this subject - where I said I would start with Space Ritual.  Looking forward to it!  I have to be honest though - I'm kind of overwhelmed with music at the moment Tongue (in a good way)  First, my friend Dale turned me on to PT recently so I am absorbing all of that *great* music (have 5 recordings so far), then he loaned me a bunch of CD's he thought I would like including Gentle Giant, Anglagard, and Spock's Beard.  And then....there is Opeth - now that is a lot to absorb (also in a good way Smiley!  Well, it is a blast to be back into music again after a long dry spell.

IP Logged
proggrl
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

fun fun fun fun FUN

Reply #5 - 31. Oct 2005 at 16:17

mmmm....*Contemplating*.....  Ummmmm....  hmmmmmm  *tapping fingers* ....  

*tapping head*

Uhhhh...  Maybe early PT, like some tracks from OTSOL might sound a bit Hawkwind-ish.  They are a bit of a space rock band, but I don't really see (hear) how anyone could see them live today and say they sound like Hawkwind.   ?? Maybe.    

But I do like Hawkwind.  My favourite, of course, is the Live Chronicles/Chronicles of the Black Sword.  That's because I'm huge into Michael Moorcock and the whole Elric story.  SR is good, too.  Doremi Fasol Latido, QS&C and Levitation are all very good too.  

Wiki has a pretty decent write up:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawkwind

I did a cool interview with Dave Brock once.  The video is cool, you can almost make him out through all the pot smoke.  They had this wacked out singer at the time who was sitting in the back of the room, but was making all these Wooop, wooop  noises.  Classic!  Grin

Death is just a breath away, but so is life
View Profile WWW proggrl KryssieP   IP Logged
Laura
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 31. Oct 2005 at 16:43

Quote from proggrl on 31. Oct 2005 at 16:17:

*tapping head*

Uhhhh...  Maybe early PT, like some tracks from OTSOL might sound a bit Hawkwind-ish.  They are a bit of a space rock band, but I don't really see (hear) how anyone could see them live today and say they sound like Hawkwind.   ?? Maybe.  

* Clarification - I don't think PT in general/the live show reminded my brother-in-law of Hawkwind - I think it was a part of a particular song(s?) (and I don't remember which one it was now unfortunately). I guess that is not so important anyway. I'm just glad that now I have another new-old band to explore Wink
It was just so funny because at the show he said Hawkwind and I was saying what? whaaat? Huh? What-wind? Hawk-who? It was loud in there Grin And then, he's like - oh yeah - I have tons of their albums. I've known Mike since the 70's and never heard him mention this band. Interesting how seeing PT brought it back for him somehow in some way.

But I do like Hawkwind.  My favourite, of course, is the Live Chronicles/Chronicles of the Black Sword.  That's because I'm huge into Michael Moorcock and the whole Elric story.  SR is good, too.  Doremi Fasol Latido, QS&C and Levitation are all very good too.  

thanks for the recommendations!

I did a cool interview with Dave Brock once.  The video is cool, you can almost make him out through all the pot smoke.  They had this wacked out singer at the time who was sitting in the back of the room, but was making all these Wooop, wooop  noises.  Classic!  Grin

That does sound classic - absolutely fabulous. - Laura

IP Logged
Laura
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 31. Oct 2005 at 16:46

Quote from proggrl on 31. Oct 2005 at 16:17:

*tapping head*

Ooops - I goofed up technically (I think) on my response - it is within the original post above by Proggrl.

IP Logged
The Stupid Dreamer
PTF God
I've Donated!

Oh glorious
cheeseburger, we bow
to thee

Reply #8 - 02. Nov 2005 at 01:09

A great introduction to Hawkwind is the Epoch Eclipse 30th Anniversary triple CD box set.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008OP0V/qid=1130893110

I'd pick pretty much the same tracks myself for a 3CD best of.  

On the subject of sounding like PT: During the band's Charisma period (76-79) when Bob Calvert was at the helm they did some much more innovative, lyrically complex and clean sounding songs (vergeing on New Wave at times) and it's these that sound a little PTesque.

View Profile   IP Logged
lightsnowfalling
I'll get me cloak!

It's on like donkey
kong!

Reply #9 - 02. Nov 2005 at 04:49

I only herd "silver machine" in which Sir(as which he should be dubbed) Lemmy Kilmister sang and played bass, cool spacey track.

I search inside my head
Helps me remember the day
That the taxi never came
So I walk home in the rain
Email View Profile WWW lightsnowfalling   IP Logged
Hawklords-Amon Duul 2
I'll get me cloak!

Stone Age Rock Is
Good - Xenomorph

Reply #10 - 01. Sep 2009 at 20:20

I got this info from myspace about an gig in uk its Hawkwind/Hawlords Smileyit looks  Cool

--- info from Ian Abrahams - Bulletin on myspace  

31. aug 2009, 16:57  
Barney Bubbles Memorial Concert

The 229 Club, 229 Great Portland Street, London, W1W 5PN Sunday 29th November, 2009 from 2 – 10pm

On 14th November 1983, the art and music worlds lost one of their most important and innovative figures with the death of the legendary graphic designer Barney Bubbles. His work as Hawkwind’s cover artist and stage-set creator established him as key figure in the Ladbroke Grove/Notting Hill counter-culture scene, whilst his subsequent work with Stiff Records (including his designs for Elvis Costello’s album covers and his fractured Kandinsky-esque cover painting for The Damned’s Music For Pleasure LP) established his relevance to the punk/new-wave generation. He directed the seminal video for The Specials’ ‘Ghost Town’ single, worked as art director at Friends magazine and was an early champion of Pennie Smith, who was to become one of rock’s most lauded photographers.

“...one of the most important graphic artists of his time.” Will Birch, ‘No Sleep ‘Till Canvey Island – The British Pub Rock Scene’.

Barney Bubbles’ long-time friend and admirer, former Hawkwind saxophonist Nik Turner, has been instrumental in organising this memorial concert celebrating the life and achievements of this most singular of multi-media artists, with a view to setting up a foundation/annual award for innovative album cover design, and a memorial plaque for him...  

Headliners THE HAWKLORDS, featuring Adrian Shaw, Alan Davey, Harvey Bainbridge, Jerry Richards, Martin Griffin, Nik Turner, Ron Tree, Steve Swindells and Terry Ollis will perform Hawkwind’s 1973 stage extravaganza, Space Ritual, up-dated to 2009, supported by The New Bubblettes dancers and lighting designs inspired by Liquid Len & The Lensmen.  

The day’s extensive line-up also features key 70s Notting Hill band QUINTESSENCE, The Damned founder-member Brian James, fronting his own BRIAN JAMES GANG, Nik Turner’s INNER CITY UNIT and the band created by Barney Bubbles, THE IMPERIAL POMPADOURS.  

Pentameters Players will perform their acclaimed staging of ROBERT CALVERT’s play, ‘The Stars That Play With Laughing Sam’s Dice’.

Also appearing during this memorial concert: JERRY FITZGERALD/LOL COXHILL’S ‘FRE-EX, TRIKIMIKI’S ‘3-D SPACE-WARP’, and D.J. JEFF DEXTER

“Barney was, as far as media direction of the youth of this country, probably the most important artist of our generation.” Douglas Smith, interviewed by Jonathon Green, ‘Days In the Life: Voices From The English Underground’.

www.hawklords.com  

The 229 ticket hotline 0207 323 7229 * £20.00 advance, £25.00 door

For further information and interviews please contact: Ian Abrahams - 07722519266
----
here is an cool link to hawkwind song Lyrics/text

http://lyricstrue.net/artistsongtext/Hawkwind/

Anubian Lights - Naz Bar -Dreamstate In The Mainframe
Hawkwind - Alien 4
Amon Duul 2 - Phallus Dei
The Banana Splits: We're the Banana Splits-LP
Red Warszawa - Hævi Mætal og Hass
View Profile WWW myspace.com/signify2   IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02. Sep 2009 at 10:04

I'll just give a tip (one track of Hawkwind is actually on it) of a great mix-album by Amorphous Androgynous (a.k.a. FSOL): Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding In Your Mind
Spacey!

IP Logged
dan_vincent
PTF Senior

Reply #12 - 02. Sep 2009 at 14:41

Quote from Adrian on 02. Sep 2009 at 10:04:
I'll just give a tip (one track of Hawkwind is actually on it) of a great mix-album by Amorphous Androgynous (a.k.a. FSOL): Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding In Your Mind
Spacey!

Good call,I picked this up a while back and it's great

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
DrGoon
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

perfectly    
uncalled for

Reply #13 - 03. Sep 2009 at 03:54

I searched for it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Monstrous-Psychedelic-Bubble-Exploding-Your/dp/tracks/B0 01KH68FI/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_1

Okay... Silver Machine and Flow Motion are hardly among the high points of Hawkwind & CAN's respective back catalogues. A quick glance through shows up a bunch more suspect choices, and then most of the artists are from major labels... it smacks of a "tunes that we could pick out of a selection of artists distributed by some vast media empire but which are available at little to no cost" sort of compilation CD. On the plus side, it doesn't have "Pictures of Matchstick Men" by The Status Quo, which must make it one of the first broadly psych compilation out of Britain not to. That was probably two pence.

I was born in '66, the year of Pet Sounds, and Sunshine Superman
View Profile   IP Logged
Hawklords-Amon Duul 2
I'll get me cloak!

Stone Age Rock Is
Good - Xenomorph

Reply #14 - 19. Jan 2010 at 19:00

Here is a new/old one from CDS  Cool
----
CD SERVICES NEWS  
40 - 42 BRANTWOOD AVE   DUNDEE   DD3 6EW   UK
Telephone: (+44) 0 1382 776595 / Fax: (+44) 0 1382 776595
E-Mail: orders@cd-services.com or info@cd-services.com
On-Line Stores: www.cd-services.com

In this message...  Here is an updated version of the posting we made earlier today, with some additional text detail and the Cover Art for the pending release of 'Hawkwind at the BBC-1972 Double Disc Set...

HAWKWIND: HAWKWIND AT THE BBC-1972 (2CD - Mono+Stereo Mixes & Sessions - Stock # T1281594) 2CD £13.99
Legendary space-rock outfit Hawkwind have maintained an extremely loyal fan base and amassed 14 Top-40 albums throughout the 5 decades they've been active. Their re-issues continue to sell well, with the last 'live' album re-issued on EMI - 2007's 'Space Ritual' - selling 5k units OTC to date.
'Hawkwind At The BBC-1972' captures the band just after the surprise of the UK no. 3 hit single in July with the classic: 'Silver Machine', and before their 'live' experience: 'Space Ritual' which was recorded on tour later that same year.
Whilst the bulk of this Double CD release is made up of the 'live' set recorded for the BBC In Concert programme, it opens with a previously unreleased session recorded for Johnnie Walker featuring a shortened version of the 'Doremi Fasol Latido' album classic: 'Brainstorm' and a version of the then hit single: 'Silver Machine', featuring Lemmy on vocals, as per the single.  
The In Concert itself, a hypnotic continuous performance, is presented in both MONO and STEREO versions. The Mono version was previously released by Windsong on CD in 1991 and has now been Remastered and Re-Indexed to include all of the pieces originally performed, and the concert itself in its entirety.
The Stereo version has long been in the domain of the bootleggers as an off-air recording known the as "Broadcast" version. This mix was in fact distributed by the BBC for broadcast internationally and features an edited: 'Brainstorm', missing approximately 4 minutes from the front of the song, a shorter: 'Welcome To The Future' and 'Electronic No. 1' (not indexed on the previous CD release), but a longer 'Countdown' introduction. Officially released for the first time, apart from being in Stereo, the sound quality is superior to the Mono version and the mix is generally more exciting.
Whilst the CD racks and on-line listings are full of unofficial and poor Hawkwind 'live' recordings, this set is a prime chunk of space rock from the band at the peak of their powers and is an essential addition to the band's huge discography.
Track List - CD1:
01.    Brainstorm [Mono - Johnnie Walker Radio 1 session] * Previously Unreleased *
02.    Silver Machine [Mono - Johnnie Walker Radio 1 session] * Previously Unreleased *
03.    Countdown [Mono Mix - Live at the Paris Theatre, London 28-09-1972]
04.    Born To Go [Mono Mix - Live at the Paris Theatre, London 28-09-1972]
05.    Black Corridor [Mono Mix - Live at the Paris Theatre, London 28-09-1972]
06.    Seven By Seven [Mono Mix - Live at the Paris Theatre, London 28-09-1972]
07.    Brainstorm [Mono Mix - Live at the Paris Theatre, London 28-09-1972]
08.    Electronic No. 1 [Mono Mix - Live at the Paris Theatre, London 28-09-1972]  * Previously Unreleased *
09.    Master Of The Universe [Mono Mix - Live at the Paris Theatre, London 28-09-1972]
10.    Paranoia [Mono Mix - Live at the Paris Theatre, London 28-09-1972]
11.    Earth Calling [Mono Mix - Live at the Paris Theatre, London 28-09-1972]
12.    Silver Machine [Mono Mix - Live at the Paris Theatre, London 28-09-1972]
13.    Welcome To The Future [Mono Mix - Live at the Paris Theatre, London 28-09-1972]
Track List - CD2:
01.    Countdown [Stereo Mix - Live Paris Theatre, London 28-09-1972] * Previously Unreleased *
02.    Born To Go [Stereo Mix - Live Paris Theatre, London 28-09-1972] * Previously Unreleased *
03.    Black Corridor [Stereo Mix - Live Paris Theatre, London 28-09-1972] * Previously Unreleased *
04.    Seven By Seven [Stereo Mix - Live Paris Theatre, London 28-09-1972] * Previously Unreleased *
05.    Brainstorm [Stereo Mix - Live Paris Theatre, London 28-09-1972] * Previously Unreleased *
06.    Electronic No. 1 [Stereo Mix - Live Paris Theatre, London 28-09-1972] * Previously Unreleased *
07.    Master Of The Universe [Stereo Mix - Live Paris Theatre, London 28-09-1972] * Previously Unreleased *
08.    Paranoia [Stereo Mix - Live Paris Theatre, London 28-09-1972] * Previously Unreleased *
09.    Earth Calling [Stereo Mix - Live Paris Theatre, London 28-09-1972] * Previously Unreleased *
10.    Silver Machine [Stereo Mix - Live Paris Theatre, London 28-09-1972] * Previously Unreleased *
11.    Welcome To The Future [Stereo Mix - Live Paris Theatre, London 28-09-1972] * Previously Unreleased *

Hawkwind - Alien 4
Hawklords-Amon Duul 2
I'll get me cloak!

Stone Age Rock Is
Good - Xenomorph

Reply #15 - 29. Jan 2010 at 12:41

Also this title =  Smiley
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shot-Down-Night-Live-VINYL/dp/B002PQ7JK6/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_ 2?ie=UTF8&qid=1264768946&sr=8-2-fkmr0
Hawkwind - Shot Down In The Night - Live Uk 1979 - 2LP /  Label: Vinyl Lovers / Gram weight of vinyl: 180

Tracklisting:  
Side A:  
1. Shot Down In The Night  
2.Motorway City  
3.Spirit Of The Age  
Side B:  
1.Urban Guerilla  
2.Who's Gonna Win The War  
3.World Of Tiers  
Side C:  
1.Silver Machine  
2.Pxr 5  
3.Lighthouse  
4.Masters Of The Universe  
Side D:  
1.New Jerusalem  
2.Brainstorm  
3.Satellite  
4.Levitation  

Hawkwind - Alien 4
Hawklord
PTF God
I've Donated!

Space is the place
for the human race

Reply #16 - 01. Feb 2010 at 19:31

I am suprised that I missed this thread  Oh well Better late than Never.

Anyway to give you some quick info I have been into Hawkwind since the early 70's when they ACTUALLY use to play them on FM radio back in the day here in NY.

Hawkwind was one of the 1st true Space rock bands if you want to put any kind of label on them and they are just as famous not only for the dozens of musicians who have played with the band but for all the dozens of bootleg copies of their music  and that ranges from very good to total crap on the bootlegs also the numerous record labels they use to belong to.

As for what to get from them well with all the music they have put out Like you said Start with Space ritual and just take it from there.

To me their best albums besides EPOCH ECLISPE, Which is their 30th anniversary compilation I would get  another complilation, Stasis, Hall of the mountain Grill, Warrior on the edge of time, Quark,strangeness and charm,PXR5, get the off shoot of the group The Hawklords their album 25 years on.( very rare) (that's where I got my screen name) Friends and relations,  Levitation. Cool

Born to Raise hell. and enjoy every minute of it

Hawklord

View Profile   IP Logged
DrGoon
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

perfectly    
uncalled for

Reply #17 - 12. Feb 2010 at 22:57

Quote from Hawklords-Amon Duul 2 on 19. Jan 2010 at 19:00:
Hawkwind at the BBC

http://www.amazon.co.uk/At-BBC-1972-Hawkwind/dp/B00362DRNQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&am p;s=music&qid=1266014700&sr=8-1

Looks to be an EMI release. The stereo version of this show has only ever been available as a bootleg recording of the radio broadcast. I have the mono version on Windsong as 'Radio 1 Live In Concert'. This will be worth having. I'd possibly even say essential, but Space Ritual still beats it. Next best thing though.

Quote from Hawklords-Amon Duul 2 on 29. Jan 2010 at 12:41:
Hawkwind - Shot Down In The Night - Live Uk 1979 - 2LP

Is a Russian bootleg. No idea what the quality is, but there have been some rough 1979 vinyl boots in the past. I'll wait until somebody comments on the mailing lists about it. The front cover is hilarious - that's not a hawk, that's an eagle.

I was born in '66, the year of Pet Sounds, and Sunshine Superman
View Profile   IP Logged
Hawklords-Amon Duul 2
I'll get me cloak!

Stone Age Rock Is
Good - Xenomorph

Reply #18 - 31. Oct 2010 at 07:53

There is some new hawkwind Merchandise stuff at plastichead.com  Smiley a mug & a bag Whit Doremi Fasol Latido Logo on

http://www.plastichead.com/catalogue.asp?ex=backlist&category=merch&targ et=HAWKWIND
----
Also they have some PT t-shirt that they dont got at BS  

http://www.plastichead.com/catalogue.asp?ex=backlist&category=merch&targ et=PORCUPINE+TREE

Hawkwind - Alien 4
Hawklords-Amon Duul 2
I'll get me cloak!

Stone Age Rock Is
Good - Xenomorph

Reply #19 - 12. Jan 2011 at 15:29

Some good news for any Australia Hawkfans + french/France Hawkfans , Tour Dates  Smiley
We are delighted to announce that Hawkwind will be returning to Australia in March 2011, to play shows in Sydney and Melbourne before moving on to the highly prestigious Golden Plains festival which features an array of international recording artists.
Golden Plains is held at the Supernatural Amphitheatre in the town of Meredith, approximately 90 miles from Melbourne
------
2011 - March

Australia

Fri 11th March  
Sydney - Manning Bar
----------------------------
Sat 12 March  
Melbourne, Billboard
--------------------------
Sun 13th March
Meredith, Golden Plains Festival
----------------------------------------
June - France
Fri 17th - Sun 19th June
Clisson, Hellfest - http://www.hellfest.fr/bands.html
That band list looks great
====
For more info go here http://www.hawkwindmuseum.co.uk/tour%20dates.htm

MORE DATES TO FOLLOW  

Hawkwind - Alien 4
Hawklord
PTF God
I've Donated!

Space is the place
for the human race

Reply #20 - 12. Jan 2011 at 17:49

Now all they have to do is plan for their next US Tour with a stopover in New York City for a a showr 2011  Grin Cool

Born to Raise hell. and enjoy every minute of it

Hawklord

View Profile   IP Logged
Joolio_Geordio
PTF Full Member

No Sense of Time

Reply #21 - 12. Feb 2011 at 21:04

Just to square the circle here Sentinel off the new Hawkwind album Blood of The Earth sounds  uncannily like Stars Die in places.

Joolio

Its only the giving that makes you, what you are.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Rhythmic Delusions
yhW?
I've Donated!

Reply #22 - 13. Feb 2011 at 03:27

Quote from Hawklords-Amon Duul 2 on 12. Jan 2011 at 15:29:
Some good news for any Australia Hawkfans + french/France Hawkfans , Tour Dates

Thanks so much for posting this! My day just got so much better, not because I'm a Hawkwind fan, but because this gig has had the added effect of making something else very important to me much more possible. Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Joolio_Geordio
PTF Full Member

No Sense of Time

Reply #23 - 13. Feb 2011 at 08:24

Quote from Rhythmic Delusions on 13. Feb 2011 at 03:27:
Quote from Hawklords-Amon Duul 2 on 12. Jan 2011 at 15:29:
Some good news for any Australia Hawkfans + french/France Hawkfans , Tour Dates

Thanks so much for posting this! My day just got so much better, not because I'm a Hawkwind fan, but because this gig has had the added effect of making something else very important to me much more possible. Smiley

Hope u can go, I caught them on the UK tour pre Xmas and they were great; superb set list, great lightshow and brilliant dancers on stage.
Can't wait till they tour again.
Joolio

Joolio_Geordio
PTF Full Member

No Sense of Time

Reply #24 - 13. Feb 2011 at 08:45

Hi
The real classic era is between 71 and 80 beyond which it is a case of some interesting stuff but gradually diminishing returns although the last  two studio albums are ok Take Me to Your Leader (2005) And Blood of the Earth (2010).
Sorry Krys we disagree on the Chronicles era they are ok IMO but marred by grim 80's production and 80's metal influences I much prefer the rough hewn early 70's output with the like of Nik Turner and Simon House adding a lot of light and shade to the music, not forgetting Lemmy and Bob Calvert.
Anyway the key albums
In Search of Space -  1971
Do Re Mei - 1972
Space Ritual- 1973
Hall of the Mountain Grill- 1974
Warrior at the Edge of Time - 1975
Astounding Sounds Amazing Music - 1976
Quark Strangeness and Charm - 1977
Hawklords 25 Years On - 1978
PXR5 - 1979
Levitation - 1980 this was the last great Hawkwind album in my view after that songwriting and production values diminish and there is an overreliance on covering their older songs.
There is some good stuff post 1980 but what I am trying to say is they are less consistent.
The Atomhenge reissue campaign is a good place to start.
All the best
Joolio

Rhythmic Delusions
yhW?
I've Donated!

Reply #25 - 16. Feb 2011 at 13:15

Quote from Joolio_Geordio on 13. Feb 2011 at 08:24:
Hope u can go,

Well, I won't be going,  

not because I'm a Hawkwind fan

(and I'm NOT!) but  

this gig has had the added effect of making something else very important to me much more possible.
and now that something is going to happen, thanks to the Hawkwind gig. My other half has his ticket now, so I'm  Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Joolio_Geordio
PTF Full Member

No Sense of Time

Reply #26 - 17. Feb 2011 at 00:07

Quote from Rhythmic Delusions on 16. Feb 2011 at 13:15:
Quote from Joolio_Geordio on 13. Feb 2011 at 08:24:
Hope u can go,

Well, I won't be going,

not because I'm a Hawkwind fan

(and I'm NOT!) but

this gig has had the added effect of making something else very important to me much more possible.
and now that something is going to happen, thanks to the Hawkwind gig. My other half has his ticket now, so I'm  Smiley

Even Psychedelic Warlords have their uses!!

Hawklords-Amon Duul 2
I'll get me cloak!

Stone Age Rock Is
Good - Xenomorph

Reply #27 - 14. May 2011 at 20:53

Some new tracks is up at hawkwind home page   Smiley  
====  Cool
14.05.11 - Exclusive new material for you

On the eve of the years first UK show we have some goodies that we'd like you to have a look at and listen too!

If you missed the homepage on the way here, click this link immediately, there's 3 exclusive new track for you to listen to as well as a brand new video clip, details are as follows  
===
Video - In the Footsteps Of The Great One, featuring Graphics from Martin Krel accompanying music by Dave Brock, note the credit to Dave Law was required by the upload provider but he has nothing to do with the production
http://www.hawkwindmuseum.co.uk/EXP1.htm
http://exposureroom.com/members/Hawkwindofficial/8d009f2900b94b3599e58daa4da9609 6/
===
Dam Jam Jason (Live) © Hawkwind 2008 - Taken from a jam during a live rendition of Damnation Alley and featuring Jason Stuart
Lover's Whim © Brock - From  the forthcoming Dave Brock solo album "Looking for love in the lost land of dreams"
We Serve Mankind © Brock / Hone - From the Stella Variations project
( The track are in the top left corner of the home page )

Hawkwind - Alien 4
DesertChaos
PTF Full Member

Reply #28 - 15. May 2011 at 06:11

I keep hoping for some news on the reissue of warrior on the Edge of Time...it's such an awesome album.  Now, if there was a record that deserves the super-deluxe treatment and a Steven Wilson 5.1 mix....please!

View Profile   IP Logged
The Stupid Dreamer
PTF God
I've Donated!

Oh glorious
cheeseburger, we bow
to thee

Reply #29 - 15. May 2011 at 20:26

Agree - it would be stunning in 5.1  Cool

View Profile   IP Logged
arctangent
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #30 - 16. May 2011 at 08:32

there seems to be a problem with who owns the rights to warrior, which is why its not been given the special edition treatment.

Some say a comet will fall from the sky,
Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves,
Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still,
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipsh*ts...
Email View Profile   IP Logged
Hawklords-Amon Duul 2
I'll get me cloak!

Stone Age Rock Is
Good - Xenomorph

Reply #31 - 16. May 2011 at 09:15

On wikipedia is say that the master tapes is/was lost , thats maybe why it will be hard to make it 5.1 if they dont have the master tapes,
it would be nice to hear it in 5.1 & also some of the other hawkwind albums in 5.1
 Smiley
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrior_on_the_Edge_of_Time

CD Masters
The original UK master tape for the album was apparently lost or destroyed some time after the original release
The album was eventually released on CD in Britain on the Dojo label as a vinyl dub
A second version was later released on the Canadian label Griffin Music, apparently taken from a first-generation copy of the original master
This master was the Atco tape used for the 1975 US vinyl release and included the single mix of Kings of Speed
The Dojo CD's booklet does not reproduce the fold-out cover design; the Griffin CD does, but with the shield on the reverse in black and white
The Dojo booklet replicates the original LP cover rear credits, with the additional "Special thanks to John Chase and Guy Thomas" Incidentally John Chase supplied a mint unplayed copy of the LP, from which the Dojo CD was mastered
Guy Thomas supplied the King's of Speed single, from which the "Motorhead" track was mastered
Guy Thomas also did the custom paint-job on Dave Brock's Westone Paduak-1 guitar, replicating the LP cover

Hawkwind - Alien 4
Hawklords-Amon Duul 2
I'll get me cloak!

Stone Age Rock Is
Good - Xenomorph

Reply #32 - 13. Jun 2011 at 14:16

One more email from CDS , whit a rare hawkwind title/album  Smiley
============================================
CDS Big HAWKWIND News: Long Lost 1972 Cambridge Gig Recovered and on CD

CD SERVICES NEWS  

HAWKWIND: LEAVE NO STAR UNTURNED (CD Edition-Legendary Live Performance from the Cambridge Corn Exchange 1972 - Stock # T1440167) CD £14.99  

HAWKWIND: LEAVE NO STAR UNTURNED (Ltd Double Vinyl Edition-Legendary Live Performance from the Cambridge Corn Exchange 1972 - Stock # T1440168) Ltd 2LP £21.99

On 27th January 1972, HAWKWIND, their comrades in Notting Hill / Ladbroke Grove psychedelic proto-punk agitprop the PINK FAIRIES and what would be labelled as "The Last Minute Put-Together Boogie Band", featuring the elusive Syd Barrett, were brought together at the Cambridge Corn Exchange under the title the 'Six Hour Technicolor Dream' by local music promoter and 'Head Shop' proprietor Steve Brink
If we'd had the technology of today way back then, then for such a line-up we'd most certainly have on our shelves the DVD with its 5.1 stereo soundtrack, the CD Box Set, and the Blu-ray package. Instead, what we have is something previously shrouded in mystery and rumour; quarter-inch ReVox open reel sourced recordings that have been whispered of in the circles of those who know
One of only two known copies of this show surfaced in the mid-80's, promptly to vanish into the vaults unheard and unreleased
Thankfully, the other finally emerged from a forgotten loft space in 2005 and made its way into the hands of Easy Action Records via a circuitous route which included an appearance at the famous Bonham's auction house in London's affluent Knightsbridge - what a contrast to the anarchic 'peace and love' characters decrying the evil tentacles of 'The Man' who play on these recordings
The three bands lining-up that night represent a legacy of huge importance to students, followers and historians of the underground counterculture of the late 60's and early 70's. 'Leave No Star Unturned' delivers the HAWKWIND portion of that gathering and in doing so illuminates the band at the start of what can be seen in hindsight as its mainstream breakthrough year - if 'mainstream' could ever be a label applied at any time across the band's forty-year-plus history of being the perennial outsiders surviving, if not on the edge of time, then certainly on the outside of the music industry
But it's 1972 - the year that 'Silver Machine' took them to the top reaches of the Singles Chart and on to Top Of The Pops, the year that Radio One embraced them for 'In Concert' and the year that they embarked on their ambitious science fiction theatre 'Space Ritual' tour - the show that yielded the fabulously dense and atmospheric wall-of-sound that is the Space Ritual Alive In Liverpool And London double album
Featuring among the HAWKWIND ranks here are their ever-present figurehead and Hawklord Dave Brock, the thundering pre-MOTORHEAD bass-playing of Lemmy, space poet and lyricist Robert Calvert, and the freewheeling, improvisational and theatrical heart of the band, Nik Turner  
There's an early version of 'Silver Machine', before the single version was captured at The Roundhouse and overdubbed at Morgan Studios with Lemmy's growling vocal, and featuring here an all together different delivery by Calvert (the song's co-writer alongside Brock). There's only the second known live recording of 'Born To Go', blistering versions of 'Master Of The Universe' and 'You Shouldn't Do That', and a contrastingly spacious and spacey rendition of 'You Know You're Only Dreaming'
This is HAWKWIND building to a crescendo on stage and off - building up the myth and legend that would make them the embodiment of tripped-out space rock in perpetuity  
The HAWKWIND back catalogue of this era, their time on United Artists, has been lovingly managed and maintained for availability by EMI who have generously granted a licence for the release of this historic recording. HAWKWIND fans are indebted to them for their support in enabling this show to be widely heard and cherished
Extensive sleeve notes written by HAWKWIND biographer Ian Abrahams support this soundtrack, but it's the blistering power and energy of the improvisational HAWKWIND that, indeed, leaves no star unturned
All in all, it's 61 minutes 28 seconds of pure HAWKWIND legendary gold
Track List =
Technicians Of Spaceship Earth [intro]
You Shouldn't Do That
Awakening
You know You're Only Dreaming
Master Of The Universe
Paranoia
Earth Calling
Silver Machine [different lyrics and vocals]
Welcome To the Future
Born To Go [encore]

« Last Edit: 13. Jun 2011 at 15:48 by Hawklords-Amon Duul 2 »  

Hawkwind - Alien 4
Hawklords-Amon Duul 2
I'll get me cloak!

Stone Age Rock Is
Good - Xenomorph

Reply #33 - 22. Jun 2011 at 13:09

One More email from CDS  Cool  

CDS Space-Rock News: HAWKWIND - Parallel Universe 3CD inc. 12 Unreleased Tracks
Smiley
CD SERVICES NEWS  

HAWKWIND: PARALLEL UNIVERSE-A LIBERTY / UNITED ARTISTS ANTHOLOGY 1970-1974  
(Triple CD Journey Through the Mind-Altering Space-Rock of Hawkwind / 12 Unreleased Tracks - Stock # TBA)  
Normally 3CD £16.99 - Ltd Offer 3CD £15.99

Following the release last year of 'Hawkwind At The BBC 1972', EMI Records are to release: 'Parallel Universe' - A Triple CD that is an extensive journey through Hawkwind's mind-altering space rock
This exciting 3CD Anthology set is due from EMI Records in August 2011
'Parallel Universe' is a significant release that as well as containing a good cross-section of the band's output over the first five years, (the band was actually formed in 1969), pulls together a slew of material that's previously been available as Bonus Tracks on the EMI remasters from a few years back, plus a selection of Previously Unreleased United Artists - era tracks including studio versions of: 'It's So Easy' and 'You'd Better Believe It', a very different studio cut of 'Wind Of Change', alternative vocals on a studio recording of 'Seven By Seven' and new songs: 'Hog Farm' and what's listed as being a previously unreleased track: 'Take What You Can', which actually appeared on a 'Weird Tapes' release under the title: 'Make What You Can', although at this stage we don't know if it is the same recording or another previously unknown version
This package of great tracks is something that no serious Hawkwind fan or collector should be without
These are the seminal recordings of the band - the essence of what Hawkwind was at that time, and was all about
The sleeve notes for this highly anticipated releases are by Nik Turner

Track List - Disc 1:
01.    Hurry On Sundown [original mono single]  
02.    Mirror Of Illusion [mono single edit]
03.    You Know You're Only Dreaming [original 1970 version] * previously unreleased *
04.    Reason Is [alternate version] * previously unreleased *
05.    Be Yourself [alternate mix] * previously unreleased *
06.    Seeing It As You Really Are [from the album: 'Hawkwind']
07.    Hog Farm * previously unreleased *
08.    Kiss Of The Velvet Whip [aka 'Sweet Mistress Of Pain' - 1971 version] * previously unreleased *
09.    You Shouldn't Do That [from the album: 'In Search Of Space']
10.    Master Of The Universe [original vocal take] * previously unreleased *
11.    Children Of The Sun [from the album: 'In Search Of Space']
12.    Paranoia ['Greasy Truckers Party' version - live]
Track List - Disc 2:
01.    Brainstorm [from the album: 'Doremi Fasol Latido']
02.    Space Is Deep [from the album: 'Doremi Fasol Latido']
03.    Lord Of Light [from the album: Doremi Fasol Latido']
04.    Take What You Can * previously unreleased *
05.    Silver Machine [original single mix]
06.    Seven By Seven [original single alternate vocal mix] * previously unreleased *
07.    Born To Go ['Space Ritual' version - live]
08.    Down Through The Night ['Space Ritual' version - live]
09.    Accumulator ['Space Ritual' version - live]
10.    Sonic Attack ['Space Ritual' version - live]
Track List - Disc 3:
01.    Ejection
02.    Urban Guerrilla [original single]
03.    Brainbox Pollution [full-length version] * previously unreleased *
04.    It's So Easy [original studio version] * previously unreleased *
05.    You'd Better Believe It [Rockfield studios version] * previously unreleased *
06.    Psychedelic Warlords {Disappear In Smoke} [single version]
07.    Wind Of Change [alternate version] * previously unreleased *
08.    Paradox [remix - single edit]
09.    Hall Of The Mountain Grill [from the album: 'Hall Of The Mountain Grill']
10.    Lost Johnny [from the album: 'Hall Of The Mountain Grill']
11.    D-Rider ['1999 Party' version - live]
12.    Watcher ['1999 Party' version - live]

Digital Download: HAWKWIND ZOO - SUNSHINE SPECIAL E.P. [digital download only]
01.    Kiss Of The Velvet Whip [aka 'Sweet Mistress Of Pain' - 1969 mix] * previously unreleased *
02.    Cymbaline [mono]
03.    Hurry On Sundown [1969 mix] * previously unreleased *
04.    Kiss Of The Velvet Whip [aka 'Sweet Mistress Of Pain' - 1972 stereo remix]
05.    Hurry On Sundown [1972 stereo remix]

Hawkwind - Alien 4
Hawklords-Amon Duul 2
I'll get me cloak!

Stone Age Rock Is
Good - Xenomorph

Reply #34 - 08. Jul 2011 at 10:53

One more hawkwind out soon on Flicknife Records Cool  

Hawkwind : "Friends and Relations: 30th Anniversary Volume"  
(Label: Flicknife/Cat.No:SHARPCDA 11051/Release Date: 5th September 2011)  
http://www.flicknife.n.nu/new
Yes it is 30 years since the first HFAR was released and this one is going to be the best of them all  
So far, confirmed are:  
Gunslinger, Underground Zero, Alan Davey, Simon House, Steve Swindells, Hawkfest 2003, Bedouin, Hawkwind, DanMingo, Lemmy and many more
UPDATE!
This album will feature a previously UNRELEASED track from Bob Calvert, The Space Captain himself
The writer of ‘Silver Machine’ at his very best with a bit of help from Alan Davey and kind permission of Jill Calvert

Hawkwind - Alien 4
Hawklords-Amon Duul 2
I'll get me cloak!

Stone Age Rock Is
Good - Xenomorph

Reply #35 - 11. Feb 2012 at 12:11

Yo , a new hawkwind album ,  that is all the info i got  Smiley hope to get track list & info on cd / Vinyl soon  

The new Hawkwind studio album which is due out in April, is called "Onward"  
http://www.hawkwindmuseum.co.uk/tix2b.htm

Hawkwind - Alien 4
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print