Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
21. Aug 2017 at 16:56
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Forum rules and etiquette: READ BEFORE POSTING! (Read 4328 times)
Admindude
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF Administrator

Forum rules and etiquette: READ BEFORE POSTING!
25. May 2005 at 11:34

We had hoped that we wouldn't have had to do this but...

Here's some ground rules for the use of this forum:

1. No discussion of bootleg recordings, audio or video. No links to PT or related material for illegally downloading.

2. No flaming or abusive behavior to other forum users.

3. Please read before posting - mutiple threads for the same subject will either be merged together or even deleted by the moderators.

4. Please familiarize yourselves with the different sections of the forum and post in the appropriate section. Yes, sometimes the boundries are blurred but for example posting something about another band or artist should obviously go in the 'Other bands' section.  

5. Constructive criticism is perfectly acceptable but outright slagging off becomes tiring for us all to read.  

6. Please do not post photos directly into the forum - please use links to an external site hosting the photos. Some members are using dial-up connections, have usage caps or have to pay for data downloaded.  

7. Please try and keep personal conversations to email or private messages - remember, there are over 5000 people here reading what you post.  

8. All posts must be in English please! Sorry if English isn't your first language but the moderators are all English and we can't moderate posts we can't read!!  

9. No spamming (links to eBay auctions etc.)

10. Members that have not used their accounts for more than 500 days and have made 5 posts or less, may have their accounts subject to deletion. A message will be sent to the email address registered with the account if this happens.

11. Members signatures should be no more than 100 pixels high to ease load times for those without high speed connections. Please ensure that you keep to this guideline.

12. Forum members found to be using more than one username will be banned.

So far several members of this forum have been banned since it began. Let's play nice folks and not lose anyone else from this community.

If anyone feels that the above rules aren't compatible with their use of this forum we can only suggest using the other existing lists (Dark Matter, PT Trans) or perhaps starting their own PT forum.

Thanks,

Admindude

« Last Edit: 07. Sep 2009 at 08:07 by Simon »  
View Profile   IP Logged
symbioticbass
PTF Newbie

Re: Forum rules and etiquette: READ BEFORE POSTING
Reply #1 - 29. Sep 2005 at 18:28

Why is it forbidden to post photos on this forum?

Also why does a discussion about ticket prices get deleted?

Don't get me wrong I'm fine with this forum, it just seems to have an unnecessarily strict policy....

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Admindude
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF Administrator

Reply #2 - 29. Sep 2005 at 23:40

Quote from symbioticbass on 29. Sep 2005 at 18:28:
Why is it forbidden to post photos on this forum?

Also why does a discussion about ticket prices get deleted?

Don't get me wrong I'm fine with this forum, it just seems to have an unnecessarily strict policy....

Photos clog the forum and make it a pain to read the messages. We could just say "a maximum of 5 photos per post" for example but someone would always take the piss and upload 20 or something - it's simpler to say no photos and use a link instead. There's loads of free photo hosting sites such as www.flickr.com - just put a link in here to where you've uploaded them.

I personally don't remember deleting a thread about ticket prices - it might have been one of the other mods. OR it might have been moved to another section of the forum. We've been accused of deleteing stuff before when it has just been moved.

Strict policies - yeah, I guess you're right there but overall I think we get the balance right. Take a look at places like the Opeth forum - do we really want a place like that?

Kind regards,

Admindude

View Profile   IP Logged
BS Crouch
PTF Full Member
I've Donated!

Reply #3 - 24. Feb 2006 at 09:07

Quote from Admindude on 29. Sep 2005 at 23:40:
Strict policies - yeah, I guess you're right there but overall I think we get the balance right. Take a look at places like the Opeth forum - do we really want a place like that?

No we do not, which is why I like this forum so much!  Cool

www.myspace.com/thekeyskills4
Email View Profile WWW BS Crouch theunforgive70   IP Logged
darklyspun
PTF Newbie

Reply #4 - 08. Feb 2007 at 17:00

word.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
TAKO
PTF Senior

Reply #5 - 05. Oct 2007 at 15:02

Hi,  

I am a big porcupine tree/bass communion fan , and I registered just to watch in the first place, but then thought this might be a good place to find a new owner for a rare porcupine tree related item i have double.  
Now i read in this section that this is not allowed here, so here's my question:

Would it be allowed to open a "trade" thread?

I have no commercial motives, i have it double  just because it was rare, and in my desperation to get it, i ordered 2.

I have a done some reading on the forum, and it seems there are quite a few people here with rare "doubles" , maybe we could find out what those are, so we can do some trading?

View Profile   IP Logged
Simon
Global Moderator

Reply #6 - 07. Oct 2007 at 16:40

Quote from Takehisa_Kosugi on 05. Oct 2007 at 15:02:
Hi,

I am a big porcupine tree/bass communion fan , and I registered just to watch in the first place, but then thought this might be a good place to find a new owner for a rare porcupine tree related item i have double.
Now i read in this section that this is not allowed here, so here's my question:

Would it be allowed to open a "trade" thread?

I have no commercial motives, i have it double just because it was rare, and in my desperation to get it, i ordered 2.

I have a done some reading on the forum, and it seems there are quite a few people here with rare "doubles" , maybe we could find out what those are, so we can do some trading?

If it is an official release that you have a spare copy of then by all means mention it here and get people to PM you if they are interested.  

If it is unofficial pirate or bootleg items then the answer is a definite no though.

Hope that clears that up.

Cheers,

Simon

Carbon Nation - The Independent Porcupine Tree magazine. CN10 out now! www.carbon-nation.co.uk
View Profile WWW carbon_nation   IP Logged
TAKO
PTF Senior

Reply #7 - 08. Oct 2007 at 11:30

Thanks,

I'll open a thread for it in "solo projects" for now, maybe if others are interested it can be turned into a general "things to trade" thread?

View Profile   IP Logged
Heather
PTF God

Reply #8 - 06. Jan 2008 at 20:07

What's the policy for swearing? I've noticed most people use * (f*ck) as part of a swear word is this compulsory?  Or can we swear for real occasionally if it is appropriate to context of our blog?

god is a spandrel.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

The crux of the biscuite is the aphostrophe. Frank Zappa
View Profile   IP Logged
MorbidStalker
PTF Senior
I've Donated!

Reply #9 - 06. Jan 2008 at 20:51

Quote from Heather on 06. Jan 2008 at 20:07:
What's the policy for swearing? I've noticed most people use * (f*ck) as part of a swear word is this compulsory? Or can we swear for real occasionally if it is appropriate to context of our blog?

What do you want to swear about, Heather? Not because of a certain ruler, is it?  Grin

Or perhaps it's not about swearing but rather because of an actual action?  Tongue

Email View Profile WWW MorbidStalker silent_nightdrifter   IP Logged
Heather
PTF God

Reply #10 - 08. Jan 2008 at 22:56

Quote from MorbidStalker on 06. Jan 2008 at 20:51:
What's the policy for swearing? I've noticed most people use * (f*ck) as part of a swear word is this compulsory? Or can we swear for real occasionally if it is appropriate to context of our blog?

What do you want to swear about, Heather? Not because of a certain ruler, is it? Grin

Or perhaps it's not about swearing but rather because of an actual action? Tongue

When used with restraint (or even while in restraints) swearwords can be a great tool to place emphasis on you feelings and expressions.  And, yes, some swearwords can also be verbs, adverbs and adjectives.  Some times there is no other way to really describe a bad or painful situation!

god is a spandrel.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

The crux of the biscuite is the aphostrophe. Frank Zappa
View Profile   IP Logged
albdron
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

I'm the Problem!

Reply #11 - 09. Jan 2008 at 00:57

You can swear as much as you like as long as you don't violate any other rules. But when you do, the word may automatically be f**king changed as that just was! Grin  

... Try it in preview, it's sooo much fun! ...

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell
View Profile   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #12 - 26. Feb 2008 at 15:58

Quote from albdron on 09. Jan 2008 at 00:57:

You can swear as much as you like as long as you don't violate any other rules. But when you do, the word may automatically be f**king changed as that just was! Grin

... Try it in preview, it's sooo much fun! ...

I can confirm that the board seems to have an inbuilt Net nanny. However at least it's better than one board I used to visit. When I made a remark about the singer Joe Cocker, the software Bowdlerised it to "Joe Thingyer"!

View Profile   IP Logged
albdron
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

I'm the Problem!

Reply #13 - 26. Feb 2008 at 16:45

Quote from bob_32_116 on 26. Feb 2008 at 15:58:
When I made a remark about the singer Joe Cocker, the software Bowdlerised it to "Joe Thingyer"!

Grin

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print